Adelaide is known as the wine capital of Australia, but it has much more to offer to business travelers. Even if you only have a few days to spend in the city, there are plenty of interesting sights you can easily visit during that time. Choosing a hotel that is convenient to the districts you want to visit can also help you to see more in the time you have available.
Adelaide is arranged to make it easy to navigate as well as to make it easy to get to natural landscapes. The grid pattern of the downtown area keeps shopping, restaurants, museums and the city’s famous cafes convenient to travelers. The city centre is surrounded by State Heritage parklands that can be visited for a picnic or nature walk. Other attractions include:
- The Adelaide Zoo – This zoo has the only giant pandas in the southern hemisphere as well as 300 other animal species on display. Animal lovers can book conferences in the zoo, go on personal tours and even spend the night.
- Monarto Zoo – This zoo is an hour’s drive outside the city, but the free-range animal park is worth the drive for many tourists. Visitors can drive through a cheetah habitat, see endangered species and visit five main habitat types that are located on the 1,000-hectare park.
- Adelaide Botanic Gardens – Access the gardens from the North Terrace and see pavilions that feature exotic plants as well as many of the beautiful local plants enjoyed throughout Australia. It’s 16 hectares of nature located right in the heart of the city.
- Beaches – Visit either the popular Glenelg or Henley beaches for animal watching and water sports. Kayaking is a popular activity for enjoying the water. Kayakers can also visit the Port River Dolphin Sanctuary where you can see these animals up close while touring at their own pace.
- Kangaroo Island – Take a ferry to this island for an unsurpassed nature experience. See whales migrating, sea lions basking and penguins gathering in colonies. Visitors can explore it in a four-wheel drive vehicle or with a helicopter tour.
Places to Stay
- Comfort Hotel Adelaide Riviera – If you like gambling, this is the perfect place to stay. The only casino in South Australia is located within walking distance to the Comfort Hotel. Shop at the nearby Rundle Mall and the Adelaide Central Market, and visit the Migration Museum. Parliament House is also within walking distance. If you love cricket, don’t miss the close-by test cricket grounds at Adelaide Oval. The hotel also has conference rooms that can accommodate more than 200, wireless access and secretarial services to help you get work done while you’re enjoying the hotel’s amenities.
- Grand Chifley Adelaide – If you’ll need to spend time in the business district, this hotel offers fast access. It is also close to prime shopping in the Adelaide Central Market and is near several local museums. Visit the National Aboriginal Cultural Institute and the Australia Museum while visiting to get a look at the region’s culture and history. The hotel features an outdoor pool, wireless access, faxing facilities, private balconies and a currency exchange service.
- Hotel Grand Chancellor Adelaide on Hindley – Located in the downtown arts district, this hotel gives you fast access to shopping, museums and cultural attractions. The Art Gallery of South Australia and the Migration Museum are close by, and guests can explore Victoria Square and North Terrace. And if you have business to conduct, the business district is nearby. The hotel’s restaurant serves Mediterranean cuisine made with local produce. The hotel’s bar looks out on bustling Hindley Street. For your business needs, the hotel has a conference room that can accommodate 240, an outdoor pool, a sauna and wireless access.
- Rendezvous Hotel Adelaide – Located in the business district, the Rendezvous is convenient to both business destinations and cultural sites. It’s also close to shopping at the Rundle Street Market and the Adelaide Central Market. The hotel is decorated in European style and features an Australian cuisine restaurant and a bar. Just 11 km from the airport, the hotel features a pool, full-service spa, secretarial services, a sauna and wireless access.
- Stamford Grand Adelaide – If you want as much beach time as possible during your stay, this is the hotel to provide it. It’s located right on the beach and is still only 10 minutes from the airport. It features a ballroom big enough for 500, a restaurant overlooking the beach and an outdoor pool. Make the most of your trip by using the hotel’s beauty salon, gym and spa by day and by visiting its nightclub by night.
Adelaide has so much to offer for business travelers that it pays to plan out both of your days in the city. Visitors can see the city’s major natural attractions, visit a museum and spend time in the city’s shopping areas in 48 hours with careful planning.